Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Of Seniors, Peers, Wardens and Ghosts: Part 2


In 1976 the school rules were very lenient and I can consider as remarkable. It was under Haji Hamzah Salas that we had such a wonderful administration with so much freedom. Going for our weekly outings meant wearing anything comfortable as long as there are no slippers or round collared T-Shirts. You may even wear your favourite jeans. Bravo!!! No warden permission were needed. Just write your names in the log book and get lost! Be back by 6.

I always loved to go out alone. I was only 11 yrs old but I have roamed all around Taman Midah, Mountbatten Road, Masjid India, Chow Kit alone. In those days it was quite safe to walk alone for an 11 year old boy. Not now bro... Sometimes if Rafee (Died of Leukimea while studying in ITM) asked me to follow him back to his house in Sentul, I would gladly follow because at least I got to taste some home cooking for lunch. I only had the chance to taste my mother's cooking only during school holidays. In 1976 I only celebrated Hari Raya at my brother's place in Selayang Baru and didn't get the chance to go home because the bus fare of RM18 was unaffordable. You even have to book a month earlier because there were no such thing like extra buses to Kota Bharu. So when my brother and family went out I just stayed home and cook my Raya Maggi Mee. Heheheehe...

I also learned some silat lessons when I was in Form 2. It was Silat Lincah under the Mahaguru Omar Din. It was an exciting experience and sometimes a bit funny. Before the practise sessions some rituals like Memagar Gelanggang were done by the Guru. He would burn the kemenyan(incense) and walk around the gelanggang. Once you were within the gelanggang you wouldn't feel the real pain when you were punched or kicked. I remember that I could do a flying kick that I'd never thought I could do. Wah! Macam Bruce Lee lah! But once you were out and stopped practising, the pain will be felt... Heheehe...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehe...sakit tengkuk baca otobio. u nih...

Ayah'sJamm said...

Macam tengkuk ayam ke? Goreng pun sodap!