Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Buka Puasa Adventures

I am sure many of us would love to talk about this. Actually I am trying to figure out what to bring home for buka puasa today. Yesterday Lady Luck was on my side. I managed to skip the terrible jam at the Bukit Jalil KESAS hi-way when I used the Putrajaya Hi-way. I succesfully brought home some satay for the family. I bought them at the Seri Kembangan R&R. It appears to be the only makan shop there besides a drinks stall. Could not forget the grinning smiles of my family.

Today my next attempt is to fetch Afiq in Bukit Jelutong and speed thru the Elite Hi-way via Puchong back home and try to secure some food anywhere possible. Last Friday I failed. We buka puasa in the car instead. I pray to Allah that my mission will be accomplished. That's what me and amoiglam have to go through every working day during Ramadhan. Last year was the worst when we only used amoiglam's car to work. I would send her to the LRT station at Sg. Besi every morning and by 5.30 sharp I had to race back from office to Sg. Besi tinseltown, grab whatever possible (if posssible I'll just buy the cook himself and bring him home). By the time I was walking back to the car amoiglam would appear from the LRT station. We had to brave thru another jam at Bukit Jalil via Bandar Kinrara and by the time we arrive home the children were already holding their glasses waiting for the azan.

This year we decided to drive our own cars because there is a fly-over construction right in front of my office that causes another bloody jam. I had to park my car a few blocks away from my office by 4 pm everyday just to skip the jam and to make sure that we arrive home with the grubs before buka puasa. What a beautiful life... How I wish that I could bring the whole family to work and just buka puasa at the mamak stall nearby my office everyday. Sometimes I wish I could work in Brunei where they go home by 2pm during Ramadhan.

Actually Buka Puasa during my school days were very much simpler than now. We actually had nothing special except for the kurmas. Before 1980 our special treat was only sambal tumis kerang or ikan bilis that we bought for 50 cents each from the staff quarters. I would normally keep some for sahur at 3.00am because the sahur food was almost inedible. Things only improved after 1980. I don't really know why. After 1980 we were allowed to go out and buy some kuih in a small setinggan town we called 'Texas' which now has been turned into 'Downtown' near the Cheras Velodrome.

No comments: