Thursday, September 11, 2008

Heavenly taste

Last night's buka puasa was ok lah... Today I wish that I could get something more exciting. Maybe some Nasi Kerabu or Nasi Minyak or Nasi Briyani Johor or maybe the magical Nasi Tumpang? mana mau cari Nasi Tumpang in KL? Gila ka? I think if I can find Nasi Tumpang in KL I would buy the whole lot for my family. They just love it. Even my Sister-in-Law from Ipoh also loves Nasi Tumpang. If I ever knew how to make it I would have done it commercially here in KL. Wanna know what Nasi Tumpang is? You can only find them in Kelantan. Sold only at Pasar Chabang Tiga, Pengkalan Chepa and Pasar Kubang Pasu, Kota Bharu. You may also find some at the Pasar Malam that used to be Pasar Malam near the Kota Bharu Bus Station. Now they have relocated it somewhere nearby. I can't remember the name of the place. Maybe next time if I ever have the chance to snap a photo, I will place it here.

Nasi Tumpang is actually a wholesome of original nasi impit wrapped handsomely in banana leafs in a cone style. It has three stages. The top part is stuffed with serunding ikan or serunding daging. The middle part is always stuffed with omelette and the bottom part is stuffed with either ikan tongkol masak lemak or udang masak lemak. My favourite is the one with ikan tongkol because the one with the prawn is normally stuffed with very small and not so fresh prawns and further more the fish adds more flavour to the whole thing.

I love nasi kerabu with lots of vegetables especially the shredded long beans, bean sprouts and daun kesum. Topped up with extra serunding and sambal tumis and a lot of the magical budu. Foooyyyyooo!!!! Tambah lagi keropok and eat it with daging bakar and ikan goreng celup tepung! Alamak kena pergi cari lah petang ni.... Bye!!!

If you like rojak mamak, my favourite is always the one in the Sungei Besi tinseltown near the Sungei Besi Army Camp. I call it tinseltown because it's one of the smallest towns in KL. The gravy taste just fine. Not too sweet and not too spicy but full of flavour. Throw in some sotong sambal and extra cucur kelapa or cucur udang. Dooosshhh!!!

The rojak is sold by a guy on his motorbike. This guy, Din starts selling at 1.00pm daily and at 11.00am on Sundays. The cendul next to him is also quite ok. Even the one sold in Jalan Bellamy could not match this rojak. Long ago my favourite used to be from the Kampung Pandan Fishhead curry outlet on the 1st floor of the Central Market, but now the outlet does not exist anymore. You may also try the rojak in Jalan Ipoh within the entrance to Damai Complex under the tree of course. Nearby amoiglam's office.

You want to taste the best original basic Mee goreng mamak, try the one prepared by Daud in front of the old Dewan Bahasa building at one of the food stalls at the corner between Jalan Dewan Bahasa and Jln Maharajalela. No frills and fancies like chicken, beef or shrimps but simply delightful.

The best Ice Kacang I've tasted is in front of 7-Eleven in Brickfields next to the YMCA. Try the Ice Kacang Special with strips of kelapa muda. Perghhh!!! Enough for today...

3 comments:

Amoiglam said...

ish...ish...ish...ni mesti posa ni...lapor mata...lapor segala...the rojak sg besi for buka posa tday was excellent...syiokkkkk!!!! thank u darling...

NM YASSER said...

Sedap sungguh nasik tumpang tu... berek 12 ado jual... kiro okeyla... kelik klate rayo ni, mesti mitok tulong my mum - in - law carikan.... perkh!!! mesti best ler... thanks for remind me of this nasik tumpang... Nok beli nasik krabu... junction sek 5 & 7 nearby my house ado... orghe kelate... ade rase lah... nasik dagang dia jual jugok.... kakak hok jual tu, kulit ceroh... comel2.... sebeloh dgn stall jual murtabak!!!

nikming said...

di ktrg pun tak ada nasi tumpang.. kena buat sendiri ... heritage tu! telior lah dengar makanan tu awak eh!!