Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hari Raya Holidays


Hari Raya holidays is something that most of us Malaysians would look forward to or maybe try to avoid. The joy of balik kampung is something that used to be an annual excitement for many. As for myself, the balik kampung feat is something like preparing and strategically planning for a battle. Why? Firstly I have to make sure that the family car is fit for the road and safe for every passenger. 7 of us are going to travel in a single car and it should be in an excellent condition.

Just imagine if the air-cond suddenly breaks down once we are already in Kelantan. It did happen once to me. Luckily one shop still opened during the hols and and had the spares. Normally the car would behave very well during normal days but once we are already at the kampung then the car started having tantrums. I have had so many experiences of balik kampung failures in my life. There was once my old Ford Telstar radiator fan just failed a day before balik kampung and luckily my beloved Abang Nan lent his second car at the very last minute, a Wira Aeroback. It was a very cramped journey all the way and before we reached Kota Bharu during twilight a silly goat just crossed the road and I did not have enough time to step on the brakes. I hit the goat on the side panel. Luckily the silly goat survived but I had to bear the cost of replacing and repainting the side panel. After all actually the goat was not silly enough except for the owner himself.

After a few years we got ourself a brand new mpv and it was a total relief for us but the cost of maintenance is definitely a bomb plus the rising cost of petrol. The traffic congestion is another story. If I were to go back to Kelantan, I would try my best not to start my journey during normal hours and also the normal Kuala Lipis-Gua Musang route. I always hate meaningless shorter routes but full of road hoggers and bumpy rides. My choice is always the Grik-Jeli route or maybe sometimes the Kuantan-K.Terengganu route for less traffic. Last year I tried starting our journey at 12.00 midnight en-route Kuantan and stopped for sahur and a short nap at my niece's place in Kuantan. It was a beautiful and smooth journey. We even had the chance to visit my big brother Abang Pin in Kemaman and stopped for some traditional kuihs and Nasi Dagang for buka puasa at Kuala Terengganu. We did not mind the long hours as long as there is no traffic jams. It was not stressfull at all. BUT!!!!!.....

When I entered Kelantan, the story was different. I always wonder why do these people just love to take their own sweet time hogging the trunk roads. My blood always gets boiled to the brains whenever I drive in Kelantan. There seemed to be not much sense of urgency in my own people's culture. That's a true fact, I guess. They seemed to be comfortable in their own ways. Well... it's a free country anyway... just take your own sweet time and leave the worrying to others... maybe my perceptions will change once I get older... Maybe.....hopefully...

3 comments:

NM YASSER said...

Biasalah Cik Aman.... mana pernah rasa jammed kalau bukan musim raya... so, orang2 Kelantan "Meni'mati" suasana jammed, that's why they have their own sweet time masa driving....

doodlemom said...

again... tak yah risau pasal traffic jam balik kampong for the 3rd year running!! have fun on the road..

Ayah'sJamm said...

Betul jugak tu... kalau tak jam tak meriah tapi kalau slow motion tu nanti boleh pass motion pulak nanti...hehehe....